This impressive chime produces the lilting sounds common to many traditional Irish tunes. Its windcatcher features a stunning cloisonné-style Celtic cross rendered in metal and colored resin. Our cross incorporates a common Celtic knot design, the triquetra, whose 3 points are said to represent the sun, moon and earth. May the sounds and symbols of this chime grace your home or garden with the ambience and music of old Ireland. May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields. Excerpt from an Old Irish Blessing Over 30 years ago, Grammy award-winning musician and instrument designer Garry Kvistad created the first Woodstock Chime from an aluminum lawn chair he found in a landfill. Fascinated by the Scale of Olympos, a 7th century pentatonic scale that can’t be played on a modern piano, Garry cut and tuned the lawn chair tubes to the exact frequency of the ancient scale. The resulting Chimes of Olympos was the first Woodstock Chime and is still one of our best selling, musically-tuned windchimes. Garry and his wife Diane founded Woodstock Chimes in 1979 and still develop the chimes today. It remains a family-owned business in New York’s Hudson Valley.
These Woodstock Celtic chimes produce the soulful sounds of many traditional Irish airs. A smoothed piece of agate, printed with a gold Celtic knot, hangs from the chimes and spins in the wind. Company founder Garry Kvistad has developed an advanced, sophisticated method of tuning used on every Woodstock chime: each tube is analyzed digitally with a microphone under the tube measuring the frequency, and cutters are instructed to remove just the right amount of material to produce the most precise tuning possible. The result is a purer, more harmonious sound. All Woodstock chimes are made in the USA from nonendangered hardwoods treated to endure season after season of outdoor use, and Woodstock prides itself on being a socially responsible company, explaining that “through the sale of our chimes we proudly support the arts, as well as many environmental and humanitarian causes.” Add a hint of mysterious Celtic harmony to your yard or garden while contributing to the harmony of the earth.
- Bright sounding chime features a traditional Celtic tuning scale
- Cherry wood, 5 silver tubes, genuine agate windcatcher
- Length: 24″ Overall chime length is measured from top of gather ring / knob to bottom of wind catcher
- Beautifully finished, provides years of pleasure in a garden, near a door or as a gift
- Over 30 years ago, Grammy award-winning musician and instrument designer Garry Kvistad created the first Woodstock Chime from an aluminum lawn chair he found in a landfill; Garry and his wife Diane founded Woodstock Chimes in 1979 and still develop the chimes today